“Soul Train” began national syndication in 1971 and would continue for another 35 years. (It holds the record as the longest-running nationally syndicated TV show.) Many artists got their big break there, including the O’Jays and Destiny’s Child.- Excerpt from New York Times article, "When the Music Stopped for Don Cornelius"- by Jennifer Medina, March 9, 2012
Don Cornelius was a man before his time.
He was a brave pioneer when blacks were invisible within the top ranks of any industry.
It’s become commonplace to give tribute after death. The goal should be to celebrate accomplishments of individuals while they are living. Details that have been released regarding Cornelius’ emotional state before his death, indicate that he very well could have benefited from the rush of accolades he received after his demise.
- gyukee reblogged this from blackisbeautifulse
- nanaadwoa reblogged this from blackisbeautifulse and added:
- nativebornbeauty reblogged this from blackisbeautifulse
- thebluelip-blondie reblogged this from blackisbeautifulse
- blackisbeautifulse posted this